background

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Making Memories

     When you grow up in Hillsborough County, you know the treasure March brings.  I have walked past them not daring to touch but watching the prices drop each week. (okay, I caved and bought a package a couple of times)  But I know it is time when after leaving the windows open all day I hear the Air pop on at about 3pm.  The Strawberries are ready!
     Allison was about 4 the last time I took any kids with me to go pick strawberries.  It was awful, she was tired, it was hot the berries were a little too ripe and she kept putting her fingers through them.  We left soon after and I bought 3 flats at a stand and went home. Well never say never, I tried it again.
     Wednesday, 3/9/11 was a half day of school so I picked up the little ones and signed Allison out early and we drove to Plant City.  This was still early enough that there were plenty of good berries with almost none rotten.   The weather was perfect: sunny with a slight breeze and low humidity.  I thought this was the best time to try again.
 The day was WONDERFUL!!!
     They loved it.  Allison has been taking Agriculture in school and was excited to see a large farm with all the equipment they have been learning about.  She has been picking strawberries at school too and showed Lauren how to not hurt the plant.  Colin took Evelyn under his wing and everyone was happy and working. 

Everyone was excited; it was so hard to get them together before they ran off.
Allison went right to work
The other three wanted to scout the field out for the best row. 
 I love this picture it makes me happy.

Evelyn quickly came back to my side and wanted to tell me all she had learned.



Then lunch started to wear off and they realized that they were surrounded by snacks, what is a little dirt?




First Lauren
then Evelyn





 Colin wouldn't try one even after picking the most beautiful berries I have every seen.  Allison at least didn't let me see.  I am sure the field is organic it just isn't certified yet. 

Why are your lips all pink? Strawberry lipstick!
This was one of the nicest afternoons we have had together.  Thank you Brother Lloyd for letting us glean in your fields today.  We took more than a days worth but will pay it forward with Jam.  Thank you Heavenly Father for this wonderful world and my four children to share it with. 

Strawberry Kisses,
Anna - Christine  

No comments:

Post a Comment